RE: st: Heteroscedasticity and endogeneity in panel

From   "Vincenzo Verardi" <>
Subject   RE: st: Heteroscedasticity and endogeneity in panel
Date   Sat, 07 Feb 2004 08:52:23 -0400

I do not know if it is 100% orthodox, but I would probably act like this:

If you have a model, lets say:

yit=a+bxit+czit+e where xit is endogenous and you would like to instrument it by wit (zit is a set of exogenous variables).

I would first estimate

(where a2 and c2 are just the coefficients associated respectively to the constant and the z variable in this equation and e2 is an error term)

and fit the xit (let's call it xxit).

then I would estimate

with the heteroskeastic structure you want.

Normally this should solve your problem (or at least I hope)

P.S. For the tests, this is fairly standard. Check xttest for heteroskedasticity and maybe a Durbin-Wu-Hausman for endogeneity.