st: RE: [question on variable label length ]

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: [question on variable label length ]
Date   Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:14:52 -0000
> I am wondering if there is a way to increase the maximum
> number of characters
> allowed for the variable labels.

No. It is 80 in all current versions of Stata.
> If Stata only takes the first 80 characters when I write
> label description for
> more than 80 characters and I stat-transfer that data into
> SAS data file then
> will SAS display the chopped labels?

I doubt it. Whatever is lost by truncation on input is
lost. Stata does not store it anywhere.

N.B. please use informative titles for your postings.