st: Re: polychoric

Subject   st: Re: polychoric
Date   Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:35:14 -0500 (EST)

> I'm very interested in your new procedure polychoric but I'm having
> some trouble with it.  I just downloaded v.1.3 and it is not
> recognizing datatype correctly.  Some binary paris are treated as
> continuous.  The rep78 and foriegn is done as polyserial instead as
> polychoric.  I am running Stata 8.2 on a Macintosh.  Do you have any
> suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong.

It's me who has been doing this wrong, no fault on your side. Update to
version 1.3.1 from my web page, and see Remarks section in the end of the
help file. It was -compress-ing the relevant variables to count the number
of categories properly, but then it is a modification of the data, and it
is not nice if an estimation command modified the data it uses. So I
commented the -compress- out. And it stopped working for the uncompressed
data believing that any float variable is continuous. I've decommented it,
but now I would need to work out how to keep the data file intact -- it
should be a pair of -preserve- and -restore-, but it'll take me some time
to figure out where they should go.

If it does not work now, let me know.

 ---                                    Stas Kolenikov
 --       Ph.D. student in Statistics at UNC-Chapel Hill
 - http://www.komkon.org/~tacik/  -- [email protected]

* This e-mail and all attachments to it are not intended to provide any
* reasonable point of view and was transmitted to you in error. It
* should be immediately deleted by all recipients unless they really
* enjoy communicating with the author :). Other restrictions apply.