st: RE: RE: qreg versus rreg

From   Finne H�kon <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: qreg versus rreg
Date   Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:14:55 +0100

In the context of choosing an appropriate transformation or link function:
in what dimension(s) can you have outliers "everywhere"? (many clustered
ones, many dispersed ones, in both ends of a distribution, in repeated
observations, on multiple variables ...)

-- H�kon
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Cox [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 30. januar 2004 14:58
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: qreg versus rreg

This raises the old classical trope,
beaten almost to death by the late Sir Isaiah Berlin
in many of his essays on intellectual history,
that the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog
knows one big thing.

When attacked, the hedgehog has just one means
of defence, although it is usually effective. -qreg-
is a hedgehog. The fox has many different tricks. -rreg-
is a fox. Its mixed strategy is an attempt to be smart
in different ways.

My experience loosely matches Richard's, certainly
in terms of wanting to think that -qreg- is as good
because of the much greater ease in explaining it.
At the same time, if you have outliers everywhere,
you are possibly working on inappropriate scales
and should wonder about reaching for a transformation
or, in some frameworks, a different link function.