st: RE: "msp-values"

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: "msp-values"
Date   Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:43:13 -0000

I don't think there is a handle to save
the smoothed or fitted values from -twoway
mspline-. Strictly, I think, they're just y
medians in vertical bands; the graph code then
does one kind of spline interpolation.

In any case, although it may often
produce reasonable-looking graphs, it's
arguable that there are other smoothing or local
fitting methods in Stata that are much better, or at
least much easier to work with. -locpoly-
is one such.