st: Re: Permanent changes in system directories

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Permanent changes in system directories
Date   Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:39:11 -0600

Richard Williams ([email protected]) wrote
> This is just a trivial nuisance for me, but if anyone knows how to fix it
> it would be nice.  In Stata, you can give commands like
>
> sysdir set STBPLUS c:\ado\plus\
>
> when you want to override the default system directories.  Is there a way
> to make such changes permanent in Stata 7 and Stata 8, either in Stata or
> by editing the registry or whatever?  (I use Windows XP.)

There is not a way to make such changes permanent without using
-profile.do-.  Note however that profile.do does not need to reside
in the ado directory.  You could create a profile.do for each
machine that set the appropriate PLUS directory for that machine.
Place that profile.do in the directory where Stata is installed.

If you want to have other commands in a profile.do in your personal
ado directory that you do not want to have to keep adding to the
profile.do on each separate machine when you copy your whole ado directory
around, you can do something like this:

-----begin profile.do in Stata installation directory---------------
sysdir set PLUS c:\ado\plus\
run c:\ado\plus\myprofile.do
-----end profile.do in Stata installation directory-----------------

Your profile.do in the Stata installation directory on each
machine you use might be slightly different to set up the
appropriate paths, but you could have your own secondary
"myprofile.do" (that presumably gets changed by you whenever you
like and copied around with the rest of your ado-files from
machine to machine) that the first profile.do would find and run.

I would also recommend that if you no longer need to use Stata 7,
that you just move your c:\ado\stbplus\ directory to c:\ado\plus\.
Stata 8 tries to be nice to Stata 7 users and will use c:\ado\stbplus\
if it exists.  If it doesn't find that directory, however, it will
move on to c:\ado\plus\ which is what you want.

--Alan
([email protected])