st: Inequality constraints for ARCH/GARCH model parameters

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Inequality constraints for ARCH/GARCH model parameters
Date   Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:24:30 +0000

When estimating ARCH/GARCH models using maximum likelihood methods,
STATA performs unconstrained optimisation and therefore the results
returned contain negative parameter estimates and are therefore not
very useful. How can I impose inequality constraints on the
optimisation process such that it performs constrained optimisation,
the 'constraint define' command seems to only accept equality
constraints, when I try to define inequality ones I get error messages.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Said