Re: st: Sharing ado files on a network

Subject   Re: st: Sharing ado files on a network
Date   Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:33:53 -0500

At 02:33 PM 1/22/2004 -0500, Richard Williams wrote:
My students are using Stata this semester, and I want them to be able to use various user-written programs. Apparently, however, they could install stuff on cluster machines, but it would be gone the next day. The network administrator is willing to install some stuff permanently, but I don't want to be harassing him every week as I figure out what I want!

Students do, however, have networked drives they have regular read/write access to (on our system, the H: drive).
Thanks to Nick, Paul, Alan and others for their excellent advice on this problem. I am still working on the optimal strategy, but I plan to do something like this. I have written a file called -mystata.do-. Currently, it looks like this:

* These commands personalize your Stata directories
sysdir set OLDPLACE H:\ado
sysdir set PERSONAL H:\ado\personal
sysdir set PLUS H:\ado\plus
* This will run your personal profile.do if you have one.
capture run H:\ado\personal\profile.do
* You can add any other startup commands below or in your profile.do file

This will send any downloaded programs to the students own H: drive (where they won't get deleted) and run the students' own -profile.do- if they have one (the capture command will avoid the students seeing an error message if they don't have a -profile.do- file).

If I could get the network administrators to go along, I would make this the -profile.do- file on every cluster machine and have it run automatically (or at least have an ado-file version of this that anyone could execute by typing -mystata-). Since getting such cooperation may be easier said than done, I may just mail the program to my students, tell them to place it in H:\; and then when they start Stata, type

run H:\mystata

Also, I may consider the advice to set up a site of shared files, e.g.

sysdir set SITE whateveritis

If I do this, I would probably suggest that students add this to their own -profile.do-, as I wouldn't want everybody on campus using this directory!

Thanks again for all the help! This is a less painful process than I thought it would be. Rich

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/