st: Re: Stata temporary files FAQ

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Stata temporary files FAQ
Date   Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:44:03 -0600

Jose Maria Pacheco de Souza ([email protected]) asked about temporary
files after an -update- stopped with an error:
> in the thread, there is a situation that is not clear to me: when we
> update Stata, using the internet, sometimes after a big set of files
> arrive, the downloading stops with a error message. Then, we have to
> download again, from the beginning, loosing the files already arrived.
> Is it possible to avoid this time consumming "recovery" process?

Unfortunately, no.  However, this is for the safety of your copy of
Stata.

The reason is that Stata is always very careful to not change your
copy of Stata during an update unless all files were downloaded
successfully.  If an error occurs at any point during the update
process, Stata completely backs off and makes sure that your copy
of Stata has not been changed in any way.  One of the new ado-files
being downloaded as part of an update might depend on another one
that has not yet been downloaded, so Stata will not install just
part of an update.

In addition, Stata will not keep around the temporary files being
used during an update if that update is interrupted for some reason.
If there is a problem, it is safer for Stata to start that particular
update from the very beginning to ensure that your copy of Stata is
always left in a 'whole' state.

--Alan
([email protected])