st: Axis scale for boxplot

From   Steve Harvey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Axis scale for boxplot
Date   Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:29:50 -0500

Dear Stata listers,

I have a data set of exam scores (knowledge of skilled birth attendants from different countries) expressed as percentage of questions answered correctly. I want to create boxplots that show the scores from each country in a different boxplot. Creating the plot itself is no problem. However, the scores are stored as decimals (75.2% is stored as 0.752), so my Y axis displays as .0, .2, .4,... 1.0. I would like it to display instead as 0%, 20%, 40%,... 100%. Is there any command that will allow me to do this? If at all possible, I would like the "%" character to be included (20%, not just 20). I would like labels for outliers to display the same way (i.e., 27.5% instead of 0.275).

I could create a new variable: scorep = score*100 but I would like to avoid this if possible, since I am also reporting out a variety of sub-scores (e.g., "total" knowledge, knowledge of labor monitoring, knowledge of pre-eclampsia, etc.). If this is the only option, I would have to create newvars for each sub-score in addition to the total score.

I am using Stata 8.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve Harvey

*