st: new package -mrtab-: tabulation of multiple responses

From   "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: new package -mrtab-: tabulation of multiple responses
Date   Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:39:25 +0100

We would like to announce a new package to compute one- and two-way
tables of multiple responses. Type

 . ssc describe mrtab

or

 . ssc install mrtab

to view the description or install the package, respectively.

-mrtab- tabulates multiple responses which are held as a set of
indicator variables or as a set of polytomous response variables and -
as we believe - closes a significant gap in the official release of
Stata. See the help file for more information.

Please let us know, if you encounter any bugs or if you have suggestions
for additional features. (Does anyone know an appropriate association
measure/significance test for the two-way tables?)

Ben Jann and Hilde Schaeper

Technical note: It would be appealing to -reshape- the data in order to
tabulate the responses. However, this is quite time and memory
consuming. Thus, we decided not to -reshape-. Note that -mrtab- has to
do quite some work nonetheless and therefore might take some time if
applied to large datasets.

--------------------------
Swiss Federal Institute
of Technology Zurich (ETH)