st: Simulate and corr2data

From   Allan Reese <[email protected]>
To   Stata distribution list <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Simulate and corr2data
Date   Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:48:50 +0000 (GMT)

Followed example for simulate except to use corr2data rather than gen to
create the dataset.  Imagine my chagrin when each repetition gave the same
answer!  So tried corr2data from the command prompt and found it gives the
same sample time after time, regardless of any setting of seed.  Does
anyone have a fix please?  Is this an unintended bug?  Looks counter
intuitive and ought to happen only if "set seed" used to restart the
sequence.

If corr2data can not produce independent samples, can I have comments
please on whather it is equivalent to use bootstrap with a large N and
relatively small sample size.  I am interested in sample statistics that
depend on the overall distribution of points, and the default use of
bootstrap to select multiple samples of size N from N points must rely
upon random points being used once, twice or more - or have I completely
misunderstood?

TIA
R. Allan Reese                       Email:     [email protected]
Hull University, Hull HU6 7RX, UK.   Fax:            +44 1482 466436