st: RE: RE: survey data and inequality

From   "Stephen P Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: survey data and inequality
Date   Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:59:12 -0000

The programs cited will provide the correct /point/ estimates with svy
data -- just refer to your pweight as an aweight in e.g. -ineqdeco- or
-inequal7-.  The programs don't produce correct standard errors, however
(or, indeed, any standard errors). -geivars-, based on Cowell (J
Econometrics 1989) producing estimates of both inequality and sampling
variances, allowing for household level clustering (but not PSU
clustering) and weights.

I am developing programs that estimate sampling variances for
generalised entropy and Atkinson indices, that optionally allow for
clustered and stratified data.  (Please don't ask me for them; I'll
announce them on this list when they are ready for distribution.)

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk