Re: st: GLM

From   [email protected] (Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: GLM
Date   Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:53:38 -0600

Wolfgang Meyer <[email protected]> asks:

> I'm using Stata 8.0 and I'm trying to estimate a cross-section Probit model
> over several countries.
> I've encountered some problems using the command 'glm' with the options
> family(binomial) link(probit) nwest(nw).
> I get an error message saying 'insufficient observations'.

It's hard to say what is going wrong here without having knowing more about
the data.  Newey-West s.e.'s require the specification of a time -t()-
variable.  What do the values in that variable look like?

In any case, if Wolfgang wishes to email me privately with the data and his
.do file, I can take a closer look.

> The command works fine with
>     glm ... , family(binomial) link(probit) nwest()
> which gives the var-cov matrix using the OIM.  However, I'd prefer the
> Newey-West correction.

The above is the result of incomplete error trapping on our part.

The -nwest()- specification is ignored since it defines local macro -nwest- to
be empty.  Since the -nwest()- option requires a specification of the type of
weights, we'll fix -glm- so that the above, rather than just ignore the
option, gives the appropriate error message instead.  The fix will be made
available in a future ado update.

> The other way to estimate the model using the 'binreg' command doesn't use
> all available observations.  What's going wrong?

Again, I'll be glad to take a closer look if Wolfgang emails me privately
with his data and the command he is issuing.

--Bobby