Re: st: RE: Version number in ado files

To   [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Version number in ado files
Date   Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:28:15 -0500

At 10:12 AM 1/19/2004 +0000, Nick Cox wrote:
Bluntly, this depends -- partly -- on how far one cares
about making one's programs available to others.
Richard has himself put stuff on SSC, so he does
care. I also put stuff on SSC, so I care, although
in practice life is sometimes too busy to accommodate
all possible users.
Thanks Nick, Ben, Scott and others. I imagine this open system where anyone can write their own programs creates headaches for Stata as it tries to maintain compatibility across versions. I wonder if you really can be sure that using the version number command will maintain compatibility? Suppose, for example, I write something today in 8.2, but it calls an ado file that gets changed in 9.0? I imagine Stata works hard to avoid problems with the stuff it releases, but user-written routines might not be so careful about not breaking something. Nick cautioned me that the seemingly minor changes I made in my -pcorr2- command might not automatically be embraced as an official part of Stata, and I'm beginning to understand why.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/