RE: st: Re: Plotting Growth Curves

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: Plotting Growth Curves
Date   Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:25:15 -0000

I agree with Scott. -xtline- is precisely the
tool designed for the purpose. If you want something
slightly different, try also -linkplot-
from SSC.

If Allan is right in his guess that Timothy
is holding data in wide form, then the advice
to -reshape- is also good. That's also tacit
in the advice to use -xtline-, so there's no contradiction
here really.

That said, users re-creating graphs for such
data from first -graph- principles are likely to be bit
by a problem of spurious connections joining together
curves from two or more individuals whenever
the last data point for one person is no
later than the first data point for the next person.
This may be rare, but it does occur. The graphical problem
is soluble, but fiddly.

So in practice -- as the existence of FAQs and previous
programs tackling this problem attest -- customised programs
get you there less painfully.