st: RE: Version number in ado files

From   "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Version number in ado files
Date   Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:43:14 +0100

Richard asked:

> Would it be considered good practice to try lower version
> numbers on your
> ado files, until they stopped working correctly?

I don't think so. I guess, the only way to be sure that an ado works on
some earlyer version of stata is to actually test it on that version. I
had the problem once when I was writing a program for someone else who
used Stata 7 while I already upgraded to Stata 8. Although the ado was
-version 7- it did not work at my collegues place. (The specific problem
was that my program used matrices containing missing values, which is
possible in Stata 8 but not in Stata 7. The command -version 7-,
however, does not seem to prevent Stata 8 from allowing missings in
matrices.)

ben