st: Version number in ado files

Subject   st: Version number in ado files
Date   Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:27:35 -0500

I have a question about version numbers in ado files: you are supposed to include the version # the ado file was developed with, right? e.g. if I wrote an ado file today, I should include a line that says -version 8.2-. That guarantees it will keep working ok with later versions.

But suppose that the ado file would have also worked fine with version 7, version 6, or whatever. Have I kept it from working with earlier versions because I included the line -version 8.2-?

I just tried changing an ado file that said -version 6- to -version 9-, and sure enough, it said that it wouldn't work, and I would have to upgrade my version of Stata.

Would it be considered good practice to try lower version numbers on your ado files, until they stopped working correctly?

The version command is nice in that it keeps old programs working, but it looks like it may make you pay a price for not buying the latest and greatest version of Stata!

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]