RE: Cannot edit do file while executed! Re: st: Race conditions in Stata do files?

From   "Daniel R Sabath" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Cannot edit do file while executed! Re: st: Race conditions in Stata do files?
Date   Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:45:21 -0800

David Kantor wrote:
[...]

Of course.

The situation that Daniel asked about is a bit different in that he has one
do-file calling another.

Master.do -> proc1.do
           -> proc2.do
           -> proc3.do

He wants to edit proc3.do.  The fact that proc1.do and proc2.do are
do-files is irrelevant. All that matters is that what comes before proc3.do
takes enough time that he might be able to edit it before it gets called.
He needs to finish editing proc3.do by that time.  If he's not finished by
that time, then he would have the same kind of "incovinient moment" that
you mentioned.
----
Actually, I would like to be able to edit proc3 knowing that it wouldn't
impact the current run, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I could see that this could have serious impact on a multi-user machine
where one user sets up an overnight batch, and another decides to do an
update on one of the key components, perhaps changing some minor
functionality in the update. You wouldn't necessarily know which version was
used.

Dan