st: Memory and XTABOND

From   "Tim R. Sass" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Memory and XTABOND
Date   Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:29:37 -0500

Stata listers -

I am using the Arrelano and Bond estimator, XTABOND with a relatively large data set (800,000+ observations times 3 years). My machine has 2GB of RAM and I can set memory equal to 1250MB in Stata. With this memory allotment I can load my data set and run XTABOND with a dozen or so variables in my model. However, when I increase the number of explanatory variables in my model I get the message that there is not sufficient space for new variables. I presume that in the process of running XTABOND there are differenced variables that are created and the new variables are expanding the data array past the limit of my available memory. Is this right? Is there any way, other than trial and error, I can determine just how much memory will be needed to run XTABOND, given the number of obervations and number of variables in the model?

Tim

Tim R. Sass
Professor Voice: (850)644-7087
Department of Economics Fax: (850)644-4535
Florida State University E-mail: [email protected]
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2180 Internet: http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~tsass

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/