Re: st: Race conditions in Stata do files?

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Race conditions in Stata do files?
Date   Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:21:32 -0600

Daniel Sabath <[email protected]> asked,

> I have a question that is a little odd and geeky.
>
> If I have a master do file which calls a bunch of other do files, at what
> point are those subsidiary do files read into memory?
>
> Assume
> Master.do -> proc1.do
>           -> proc2.do
>           -> proc3.do
>
> Assume that proc2.do takes some time to process. Are proc1-3 read into
> memory at the time that master.do is run or are they loaded as they are
> called in order.

The files ar read as they are called, in order.

> In other words is it possible to start master.do, edit proc3.do before it is
> called and have the changes take effect when it is called?

Yes.

-- Bill