st: -circular- module on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -circular- module on SSC
Date   Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:00:13 -0000

Thanks to Kit Baum, a -circular- module has been
posted on SSC.

This is a set of Stata programs for circular
statistics requiring Stata 8. It will progressively
supersede the set of programs previously issued
as the -circstat- package, now of the order of
5 years old. Typically I will use slightly different
names unless it seems appropriate to use exactly
the same names as in -circstat-. That is, as re-writings
often trigger re-designs, a new program may not offer
all the functionality previously offered by its
predecessor. So -circdplot- omits one feature of -circdplt-
I now think utterly dispensable, but -circdplt-
remains for any who want that feature. (In
addition, we are now free of the 8.3 filename.ext
constraint on Stata program filenames.)

The first version of -circular- includes three
programs -circdplot-, -circrplot- and -circvplot-
for display of circular data (measured in degrees,
0-360).

Although over kinds of circular data are not yet
explicitly supported, some kinds of circular
data may be trivially transformed to degrees,
e.g. 24 hour clock measurements by a multiplication
by 15. In addition, although by default two of
these programs show compass points N E S and W as
reference points, those can be overwritten.

A point of some possible interest to Stata programmers
is that these plots are just -twoway- graphs
in disguise. No low-level stuff was needed, just
some brute force, minimal cunning, and an
assist from Vince Wiggins, who otherwise made encouraging noises
from the grandstand during their development.

I'll add to this package intermittently over the next
few months: additions will mostly be silent,
so check the package contents now and again
if it interests you.

As said, Stata 8 is needed, in which

. ssc inst circular

will install.