RE: st: Education CIP Codes with Label Define

From   "John Milam" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Education CIP Codes with Label Define
Date   Wed, 7 Jan 2004 15:40:16 -0500

Unfortunately, the string CIP code variable (ex. 11.1111) won't work
because of the dot.

Thanks,
John Milam

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Winter
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 3:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Education CIP Codes with Label Define

It's hard to know if this will work: it depends on how the data will be
used.  But could you create two string variables--one with the CIP code,

the other with the longer label?  Then users could
tabulate/list/whetever
whichever variable they wanted in a given instance.

--Nick Winter

At 02:48 PM 1/7/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi.  I am new to this list and fairly new to STATA.
>
>I am working on a software project for the US Dept of Education in
which
>we dynamically generate SAS, SPSS, and STATA syntax for use with the
>national IPEDS datasets.  This involves variables for CIP Codes or
>Classification of Instructional Program (CIP) codes that document the
>hundreds of disciplines taught in higher education for enrollment and
>degree data.  CIP Codes are somewhat comparable to diagnostic and
>procedure codes in health care with the ICD9 or 10 and involve a string
>with 7 characters such as 11.1111 or 01.1110
>
>As you know, STATA does not like the period within the CIP Code value
>label, much as it does not like the period within ICD9 codes.  However,
>there is no utility within STATA like for iCD9.
>
>I have read past threads and searched the FAQs and manuals.  I tried
>splitting this alpha string variable into parts, but the value label
>must be kept intact for software users to view, displaying examples
such
>as 11.1111 or 01.1110 when doing tabulate/etc.  I tried treating the
CIP
>Code as a numeric variable, but this drops leading and trailing zeros
>which is unacceptable.
>
>Can I somehow use ICD9 utility for this purpose?  If so, how?
>
>Can I use reshape? If so, how?  I am not sure if the period in the CIP
>Code can be treated as a stub.
>
>I need to know this quickly as we are past deadline on bringing this
>free software tool online.
>
>Thanks for any and all help you may have with this problem.
>John
>
>John Milam, Ph.D.
>Managing Director
>HigherEd.org, Inc.
>9 West Piccadilly St.
>Winchester, VA 22601
>(540) 722-6060 (voice)
>(540) 722-6163 (fax)
>[email protected]
>http://highered.org
>

>*
>*   For searches and help try:
>*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

Nicholas Winter                           607.255.8819 t
Assistant Professor                       607.255.4530 f
Department of Government              [email protected] e
308 White Hall            falcon.arts.cornell.edu/nw53 w
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-4601