Re: st: Using Stata remotely via Mac OS X

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using Stata remotely via Mac OS X
Date   Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:04:40 -0600

[email protected] (Janet Rosenbaum) asked:

> 1.  On a unix machine, it's possible to type "stata" and use the program in
> text format.  Is such a thing possible in Mac OS X?

> 2.  Is there any way to run Stata with graphical interface remotely,
> such as over X11 or another Mac program that lets you use a desktop
> remotely?

We are still considering releasing both a console and an X-Windows version of
Stata depending on demand.  We determined after the release of the console
version for Stata 7 that the demand was so low (pretty close to zero), it was
not worth the time it took to maintain another version for Stata 8.  However,
that was back in the early days of Mac OS X.

We have seen more interest in running Stata remotely since Mac OS X has become
more popular.  We are concerned however with the possibly confusing number of
choices of Stata for the Macintosh if we were to add console and X-Windows
support.  Assuming that we only added support for Stata/SE (which is the only
one being considered), we would go from:

Small Stata (Mac GUI)
Intercooled Stata (Mac GUI)
Stata/SE (Mac GUI)

Small Stata (Mac GUI)
Intercooled Stata (Mac GUI)
Stata/SE (Mac GUI)
Stata/SE (console)
Stata/SE (X-Windows)

Once there is a 64-bit version of Mac OS X, the list increases to:

Small Stata (Mac GUI 32-bit)
Intercooled Stata (Mac GUI 32-bit)
Stata/SE (Mac GUI 32-bit)
Stata/SE (console 32-bit)
Stata/SE (X-Windows 32-bit)
Stata/SE (Mac GUI 64-bit)
Stata/SE (console 64-bit)
Stata/SE (X-Windows 64-bit)

Every time an update is put out, every one of those versions has to be built
and tested.  There are also technical issues dealing with installation and
updating that have to be resolved.  When a decision has been made and all
technical issues have been resolved, we'll make an announcement.  Until then,
you'll have to use Apple's Remote Desktop, VNC, or Stata's batch mode.

-Chinh Nguyen