Re: st: how to obtain the correlation matrix from a dataset

Subject   Re: st: how to obtain the correlation matrix from a dataset
Date   Fri, 02 Jan 2004 14:39:19 -0500

At 03:11 AM 1/3/2004 +0800, rghuang wrote:
what command should i use?thank you!
One quick answer to your question is -corr-, possibly adding the -means- parameter if you want descriptive statistics, e.g.

corr income educ jobexp, means

If you are looking for examples of how to use Stata for basic statistics (e.g. Anova, t-tests, OLS regression -- the kind of stuff that gets covered in an introductory statistics course) I've recently added several examples to one of my course web pages. I'm not saying they are the best examples, but they are free :) See

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/xsoc592/index.html

and look for links that have the word "Stata" in them. I'll probably be adding Stata handouts for more advanced methods as I teach my 2nd semester course. Other handouts on those pages explain the methods and give SPSS examples.

Incidentally, if you were going to buy one book and one book only on Stata, I would recommend Hamilton's "Statistics with Stata." A new edition using version 8 is supposed to be out very soon now.

Richard Williams, Associate Professor
OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227