Re: Stata Licensing and sharing desktops on multiple platforms. was (RE: st: Using Stata remotely via Mac OS X)

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Stata Licensing and sharing desktops on multiple platforms. was (RE: st: Using Stata remotely via Mac OS X)
Date   Fri, 02 Jan 2004 10:24:53 -0600

Jeremy Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> 2.  Is there any way to run Stata with graphical interface remotely,
> >> such as over X11 or another Mac program that lets you use a desktop
> >> remotely?

> First off, to the original poster, Stata for Mac has this annoying
> habit of popping up in the Dock with a status bar when run in batch
> mode. This is in effect a copy protection scheme, as only the user
> currently logged into the Mac desktop (ie physically logged in) can
> execute Stata jobs. If everyone shares an account on the Stata machine,
> you are fine. But if some other user logs in locally, you will not be
> able to run remote Stata jobs from the command line.

Actually, Stata is not trying to prevent users from remotely running Stata.
The only way we know how to determine if Stata is being run remotely is to
check if the environment variable REMOTEHOST is defined.  If it is defined, we
prevent the status bar from appearing in the Dock so there shouldn't be any
problems running in batch mode.  Make sure you use the -e (rather than -b)
option to prevent the dialog that shows the batch job has completed from
appearing.

-Chinh Nguyen