Re: st: who can caompare stata with spss and sas

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: who can caompare stata with spss and sas
Date   Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:28:22 +0000

Huang, you might want to go to ucla ats site (link at the bottom of the page and check out stata application to some of the sociology problems) and see whether it fits your requirement. David Greenberg is right; if your department already has SPSS, and it meets your needs, plus you have critical mass of tutors or colleagues to help you out of pickles, then it would be un-pragmatic to learn Stata specially if only for a short-term (1 or 2 years) purposes.

bw

From: David Greenberg <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: who can caompare stata with spss and sas
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:25:17 -0500

Saying that you are doing sociological analysis doesn't help much in giving you advice regarding programs. The question is what type of statistical procedures you are going to use. SPSS and Stata both have strengths. Each can do some things easily that cannot be done so easily in the other. If your department already has SPSS, and it meets your needs, then it might be silly to spend money on a new program, and time on learning it. But there are types of statistical analysis that can be done much more easily in other programs. IF that is the case, then Stata may be worth the investment. David Greenberg, Sociology Department, New York University