re: st: OS X graphics gone to pieces

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: OS X graphics gone to pieces
Date   Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:53:37 -0600

Chinh Nguyen from Stata kindly replied (below) to the latest Stata problem with OS X. If you upgrade to 10.3.2, you will lose your Stata graphics driven by the Quartz engine, the preferred engine. Instead you must switch to Quickdraw, which does not render the screen as nicely. I don't know if it has consequences for the actual files saved to disk or exported to other formats or printed.

I assume other software developers who do graphics via Quartz (Excel, PowerPoint, Illustrator, SPSS, S, etc.,) must be experiencing similar problems with 10.3.2? Anybody notice anything if you've upgraded?

-Dave

We were able to duplicate the problem on our 10.3.2 machine. However,
we were not able to duplicate the problem on a 10.1, 10.2, or 10.3 machine.
It appears the problem was introduced in OS X 10.3.2. It is not a problem
introduced in our latest update because the problem exists in earlier versions
of Stata 8.

I've printed out the text as it's being drawn and what we're passing in is not
being truncated. When I tried simply replacing the underscores with spaces,
the problem remained. But when I redefined the labels (as gibberish), the
graph drew properly with the new labels.

I'll continue investigating the problem to make sure it's not something we
were doing incorrectly that only shows up now. However, as was seen
previously with the problem with bar charts, it's very possible it's a bug on
Apple's part.

Unlike the problem with the bar charts though, if it's a bug on Apple's part,
there's a chance we can't fix it. To fix the bar chart problem, we replaced a
single Apple call to draw a rectangle with 4 Apple calls to draw lines. That
might not be possible when drawing text because there might be only one way
of doing it in Quartz (I'll verify this).

I'll let you know if we find/fix the problem.

For now, the easiest solution is to go to Graph Preferences and change the
graphics engine to Quickdraw.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Chinh Nguyen 800-STATAPC
Director of Software Design [email protected]
http://www.stata.com
Stata e-mail technical support requires a serial number to be accompanied
with each e-mail request for assistance. Please include your serial number
in the subject line of your request for prompt attention. To subscribe to
the statalist listserver, send a message to [email protected]
where the message is: subscribe statalist first-name last-name.