st: RE: forvalues in Stata 7 - is there a Stata 6 equivalent?

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: forvalues in Stata 7 - is there a Stata 6 equivalent?
Date   Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:08:33 -0000

The short answer is No. -forvalues- was introduced in Stata 7.

A longer answer is: use -while-.

forval i = 1/6 {

as one example can be mapped to

local i = 1
while `i' <= 6 {
	local i = `i' + 1

The key differences are that with -while-, you must
initialise whatever you use to loop and you must
increment the macro yourself. So -while- imposes
more overhead in interpretation than -forvalues-,
but often you'd find it hard to see how much.

Similar comments could be made about decrementing,
stepping by steps other than 1, etc.

Some may answer -for-.

for num 1/6 : <statements referring to X>

is another way of looping through, and you don't
need to initialise or increment yourself. However,
-for- has been abandoned, and there are lots of
reasons why it is often not a good idea. For one
take on that, see articles in Stata Journal
2(2):202--222 (2002) and 3(2):185--202 (2003).
Notes of a talk based on a draft of the first are
accessible at various places of the web, including

Mark Hanly