st: Evaluating an expression in -forvalues-

From   "Richard Upward" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Evaluating an expression in -forvalues-
Date   Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:55:01 +0000

Dear Statalisters

I'm trying to write some code that repeats a varying number of times, based on an argument `t'.  I'd like to be able to write, for example

forvalues i = 1(1)`t'+2 {
               <some code>

but -forvalues- does not seem to allow this because it evaluates `t' but does not add it to the 2.  So, if `t' was 10 I end up with

forvalues i=1(1)10+2

which gives a syntax error.  Is there a way to force -forvalues- to evaluate an expression like this, or do I need to set another macro equal to `t'+2 before the loop?  That seems a bit clunky.  I noticed that I can use an expression like this in a -while- loop.

Thanks for any help

Richard Upward
School of Economics
University of Nottingham