st: aggregate identical observations

From   Dietrich Dr�ner <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: aggregate identical observations
Date   Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:33:45 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I need to aggregate the number of observations in my data set when they have
identical values on two variables AND I need to sum up the values of a third
variable so that it remains the same for the reduced data set. I will try to
illustrate this and also describe the substantial problem:

my initial data matrix looks like this:

act	wgt	pref1	pref2
1	4	100	0
2	5	33	0
3	3	33	50
4	3	100	50
5	10	33	0
6	10	33	100
7	5	33	50
8	3	33	50
9	10	33	50
10	2	33	50
11	5	33	0
12	5	33	50
13	8	33	50
14	4	100	0
15	10	33	50
16		100	70
17		100	70

sum	87

The first variable is the number of my actors (the 15 EU member states plus
the European Commission and the European Parliament). The second variable is
the voting weights of the member states. The third and fourth variables are
preferences of the actors in two dimensions. Many of the actors have
identical preference profiles that I need to aggregate.

The result of this aggregation should look like this:

act	wgt	pref1 pref2
1	8	100	0
2	20	33	0
3	46	33	50