Re: st: general statistical reasoning question in biomedical statistics (no Stata content)

From   Tim Wade <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: general statistical reasoning question in biomedical statistics (no Stata content)
Date   Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:40:10 -0800 (PST)

Here are my 2 cents:

It is my understanding that now p-values are often
discouraged from "Table 1" at least in part for the
reason that you describe.

I think in part this is a confusion of validity vs.
precision.

What do you mean by your randomization is "solid"?
Randomization *does not* (and can never) guarantee a
completely balanced sample. So if there is convincing
evidence, qualitiative or quantitaitve, that the two
arms are not the same then it does call into question
the equivalence of the two groups. A perfectly
randomized study could produce by chance two very
different groups (although it is not likely to do so)
and thus call into question the validity of the
results, but would not necessarily invalidate the
results. Especially if numerous factors were compared
in Table 1, there may have been a difference simply by
chance, in two groups that are actually equivalent.

Tim

--- "Christopher W. Ryan" <[email protected]>

=====