st: RE: continuous to categorical and determination of monotonic categories

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: continuous to categorical and determination of monotonic categories
Date   Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:29:29 -0000

I'll take the motivation here as given,
although clearly a separate discussion
on merits and demerits is possible.

There may be formal machinery to do this, but
I'd tend to proceed in an exploratory manner.

One key is to look at the conditional distributions
and see whether their properties change as expected.

Among other tools, you could look at a bundle
of cumulative distribution curves or kernel
estimates of density functions. -distplot- or -qplot- from
SSC have easy handles to draw graphs -by()-.