st: RE: PSEUDO R2

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: PSEUDO R2
Date   Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:09:06 -0000

Two comments:

1. Squared correlation between observed and predicted
is one measure you can use here. There are other measures
called pseudo-R^2 which don't all necessarily agree numerically
or algebraically. There is some discussion at

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/rsquared.html

and since then there has been at least one
thread on Statalist. The matter arises quite
often on Statalist, so an archive search may be
fruitful.

2. If you have missing data on any of the
covariates, then the model will not fitted
on the corresponding observations even if
the response is non-missing in those observations.
In that circumstance -predict- will be predicting
out of sample. It's safer to stipulate -if e(sample)-.
This issue is touched upon in the FAQ above.

Antonio Rodrigues Andres