st: RE: ttest

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: ttest
Date   Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:14:43 -0000

You indicated later that you had solved
the question of how to do this in Stata.
Irrespective of that, the t test is based
on the assumption that observations
are independent, which in most panel
situations seems unlikely; otherwise,
your P-values are seriously inaccurate.
That doesn't make analysis impossible, but it does mean
that the autocorrelation is needed to
interpret the t test properly.

Among many other sources, Rupert G.
Miller's "Beyond ANOVA" is good on