st: Date/time and "log close" after error message

From   "Chih-Mao Hsieh" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Date/time and "log close" after error message
Date   Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:48:24 -0600

Hi all,

I regularly program .do files that take hours or days to run.  Sometimes they return error messages and I have to debug them.  I wonder if there is a way to (1) output a date and time at the time an error message appears (which invariably stops my .do file from continuing), and (2) close a log file that was started (preferably including the error message and date/time; this allows me to access the log file remotely to check its status)...

As always, I have used "findit" to no avail.