st: venn diag query

Subject   st: venn diag query
Date   Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:54:26 -0700

Greetings STATAlisters -
The query that follows may have a straightforward response,
however, I'm at a loss for a solution so I'm posing the
question here.  Suppose I have three variables and I generate a
Venn diagram to assess overlap, is there a way to quantify the
overlap (aside from the percent returned by the Venn Diagram)
and/or run a statistical test on the overlap?  My colleague
suggested the kappa statistic as a means for quantifying the
overlap but I disagree since kappa measures agreement - can
anyone suggest an alternative and/or confirm my colleague's
Many Thanks,
Clint Thompson