st: Controlling for multiple fixed effects

From   "Zoido, Pablo" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: Controlling for multiple fixed effects
Date   Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:53:33 -0800

I have a large dataset that contains purchases of different firms from
different cities who buy from different kinds of providers at different
times.  Say I want to run a regressions on the order's prices on the order's
quantities and I want to control for differences across time, cities and
kinds of providers by including fixed effects for each of these categories.
I have a large number of fixed effect for each city and a kind of provider.

How can I run such a regression without necessarily asking stata to
calculate and include in the regression all of the dummy variables for each

If I use areg, or xtreg, fe I can only capture one fixed effect and the rest
have to be included by brute force.

Is there anyway around this? Can I create a variable say fe=group(city time
provider) and then use this for my xtreg, fe i(fe)?  Why not?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ps: I am sure that many people must have confronted this problem. I am not
sure I am making myself very clear. Basically, I have a lot of fixed effects
to include in a regression that come from different sources, some times I
even need an interaction effect.  The problem is I cannot use xi: because I
have too many categories and dummies to create.