st: Stat/Transfer v. Dbms/Copy

From   "Mike Hollis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stat/Transfer v. Dbms/Copy
Date   Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:25:41 -0800

I've been a very satisfied user of Dbms/Copy for a number of years.  I was
sorry to see that SAS has acquired the program, and I am especially
distrubed at the prospect of having to pay both a version upgrade fee and a
not so optional annual "maintenance" fee to obtain patches and technical
support.  I'm considering Stat/Transfer as an alternative, and I would be
interested in the experience of others who have made the switch from
Dbms/Copy to Stat/Transfer.

I use Dbms/Copy maily to convert files between Excel, Access, Oracle, SAS
and Stata.  (It's the inability of my current version of Dbms/Copy to handle
Stata v. 8 files that's forcing me to either upgrade to Dbms/Copy v. 8 or
switch to a different product.)   I use both the interactive and the batch
modes of Dbms/Copy, and I need something that has a batch program capability
similar to Dbms/Copy.  I would also like to have the ODBC drivers for Oracle
and Access built into the the program--the way Dbms/Copy operates--rather
than having to purchase separate drivers for these programs.

All opinions and advice would be greatly appreacted.

Mike Hollis
[email protected]
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.  John Lennon