RE: Re: st: Nearest value [small ERRATA CORRIGE]

From   "Renzo Comolli" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: Re: st: Nearest value [small ERRATA CORRIGE]
Date   Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:40:39 -0500

I meant to say
-sort- already does the randomization for you among ties

In this case, -sort- and -keep- together are enougth to minimize our
objective function but that's because this is a specially simple case

-----Original Message-----
From: Renzo Comolli []
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 9:48 PM
To: ''
Subject: Re: st: Nearest value

Read the help for -egen- it will help

How do you plan to handle ties (i.e. a case in which there is more than one
household which is at the same minimal distance from the average
If you plan to pick one of them at random then
. egen meanconsumption=mean(consumption)
. generate absconsumptiondev=abs(meanconsumption-consumption)
. sort absconsumptiondev
. keep in 1
-sort- already does the maximization for you among ties

If you plan to keep all the ties
. egen meanconsumption=mean(consumption)
. generate absconsumptiondev=abs(meanconsumption-consumption)
. egen mindevfromavgcons=min(absconsumptiondev)
. keep if  absconsumptiondev==mindevfromavgcons

*From   Ramani Gunatilaka <>
Subject   st: Nearest value
Date   Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:13:43 +0000

Hi everybody,
This is probably a very simple question, but I have not been able to figure
out a solution.
I have a data set with consumption and other variables such as number of
adults, district, sector for each household.
I need to write a programme that requires selecting the particular household
whose consumption is nearest to the mean consumption of all the households.
Can someone please  tell me, what is the Stata command that will do this for