RE: st: Re: how to save ado files

From   "b. water" <>
Subject   RE: st: Re: how to save ado files
Date   Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:02:34 +0000

Nick, Allan, and Tom,

Thank you guys for the responses.

Nick and Allan for the tips - something I'll bear in mind next time I do something mad like messing about with a working ado file :-)

Tom, your suggestion is what I've missed changing. Soon as I changed the program define, everything works superbly! Shesh... rank amateur (me).

I have another query that I want to ask but I'll start a new thread for that one.

From: "Nick Cox" <>
To: <>
Subject: RE: st: Re: how to save ado files
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:22:16 -0000

Not quite. You can automate the -discard-
within an .ado calling up your text editor (which
could be .doedit). This and
other editor tips are documented at

1) remains vital and 3) remains important.

R. Allan Reese

> While it is a convenient development environment in many ways,
> Stata+editor does require the user to remember various steps in
> sequence *every time*:
> 1) save "program something" in something.ado, but you don't have to
>    exit the editor,
> 2) if you have called the previous version in the Stata session,
>    use "discard" or it will show you the same error,
> 3) write code that does not change the data irreversibly.
>    "sortpreserve" is a fantastic option for programmers.

*   For searches and help try:
Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping! No crowds, free parking.

* For searches and help try: