st: -Sample-, but each observation has irregular # of rows

From   "Chih-Mao Hsieh" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -Sample-, but each observation has irregular # of rows
Date   Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:37:25 -0600

Hello all,

I have a dataset from which I have to sample.  For each observation
("ID" in table below), there are multiple rows.  And the number of rows
is irregular per ID.  My problem:  I want to be able to sample ID's from
the dataset.  Say the dataset has 3 ID's like the following:

ID     x       y      var1    var2
001    3       4       5       3
001    3       5       7       6
001    4       5       2       3
002    2       4       1       5
003    1       2       9       11
003    1       3       6       2
003    1       4       9       5
003    2       3       10      2
003    2       4       7       4
003    3       4       6       12

If I sample 1 ID and get #001, I want to get all of #001's 3 rows.  Of
course, I am aware of the working man's solution: collapse by(id),
sample, merge back to original, keep _merge==3.  But this seems
inefficient.  I've searched the Statalist and "search sample" in STATA
8, but to no avail.  Is there not an easier way to do what I need?

Thanks in advance,
Chihmao