st: RE: Re: MVPROBIT

From   "Stephen P Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: MVPROBIT
Date   Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:26:53 -0000

I am co-author of -mvprobit- (with Lorenzo Cappellari, who is not a
Statalist member).  To be honest, I have no idea whether -mfx compute-
will produce valid results after a user-written -ml- program like
-mvprobit-. Perhaps StataCorp could clarify.

Be aware that computation of marginal effects using analytical formulae
(rather than numerical derivatives as in -mfx-) is difficult for
multivariate probit models. See the Statalist archive for my recent
posting about this in the context of -biprobit-.

One alternative to calculating marginal effects is to calculate compare
predicted probabilities for different covariate combinations.  Using
prediction program -mvppred- after -mvprobit-, you can derive predicted
probabilities of all successes, and of all failures.  (These are the
only 2 outcome combinations that were feasible to program, given that
the # outcome variables is not known in advance.)  A conditional
probability  such as you cite in (3) cannot currently be computed using
our programs.

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk