Re: st: RE: overlaying 2 or more ciplot/option nolconfidence?

From   josemaria <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: overlaying 2 or more ciplot/option nolconfidence?
Date   Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:24:04 -0200

Dear Nick:
Thank you for your kindness. Yes, you are right. I have a categorical variable, say A, with 3 categories, A1, A2, A3. The idea was to plot the means of the continuous variable haemoglobin over the values 0,1,2,3 ..11 months of the numeric/continuous variable age. So, I would have three curves of haemoglobin in the same plot/graph. In using -ciplot- I would do it very fast if the command allowed that.
I will try the other ways.
Cheers,
Jose Maria

Nick Cox wrote:

I take this as a reference to the user-written program -ciplot- on SSC. > -ciplot- is best thought of as a wrapper for -ci-. It has a -by()- option, just
as -ci- does, and the design decision was to allow several confidence intervals to be shown in one plot.
That _isn't_ how -twoway ... , by()- works; in other words, -ciplot- follows
-ci-, not -twoway-, in what -by()- means.
-ciplot- has a -plot()- option, which is more evident from looking at the code
than from looking at the help,
As the whole point of -ciplot- is to draw confidence intervals, I am somewhat bemused
by the option suggested. If you want just to plot means, there are lots of ways
to do that.
Nick [email protected]
--
Jose Maria Pacheco de Souza, Professor Titular
Departamento de Epidemiologia