Re: st: Synchronizing two configurations of stata

Subject   Re: st: Synchronizing two configurations of stata
Date   Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:20:50 -0500

At 04:53 PM 11/21/2003 +0100, Ernest Berkhout wrote:
My experience so far is that Stata tries to ignore the Windows registry as much as possible, which is clearly a feature. Stata searches your personal directories (type -sysdir- to see how these directories are named on your system) at startup, to see if it can find any ado/hlp/scheme-files. If you've installed Stata already then copying your user directories will work fine, I guess.
Michael and Ernest, thank you very much. It looks to me like, after having installed Stata8 on both machines, you could just completely copy c:\stata8 from one machine to the other (I'll rename the original c:\stata8 before I try it though!). Or, if you wanted, maybe you could just have a shared c:\ado folder on the network that all machines on the network could access.

Incidentally, the data folder Stata has you specify at install time -- c:\Data by default -- it looks to me like that isn't considered a system directory. Rather, on the shortcut for Stata8, it is the starting directory. So, if for some reason you want to change that, you just change the shortcut, right? Or, within stata, type something like cd d:\mydata? Then if I download some auxiliary files, they will go to d:\mydata? I just ask because my c:\data dir was getting deluged with a bunch of files I downloaded that I would have rather put in separate folders.

Thanks much. RW

Richard Williams, Associate Professor
OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373