st: Re: thoughts on manuals

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: thoughts on manuals
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:41:39 -0000 (GMT)

Sam,

A 'Clive-support' group: I rather like the idea of that!! *lol* And as for
being a Microsoft plant, please! :-) It's certainly not my intention to
"drive everyone else off the list". How could I? Anyway, it's not out of
the question that I may find a way of getting [R] in the near-future, and
it may be possible to get my library to get it (but I won't hold my
breath!). I should point out that I'm angry about the issue of manuals,
but when you say they're a long-term investment, they are (in part) only
short-term, since they'll get replaced when Stata 9 comes along (which is
already being talked about!).

Somewhere in [U], it's stated that -help- contains only a tenth of the
information contained in [R], so that on its make purchasing [R] a more
attractive proposition. When is a different matter. As for etiquette, you
can be rest assured that I'll be asking less in future as I become more
proficient in Stata (remember that I've only been using it regularly for
about two months), and as I do, I'll use this list less. However, I'm
light years away from, say, knowing how to program ado-files in it. It's
already been extremely useful in passing tips on useful routines (to me)
that I didn't even ask for. My university inbox is crammed full on the
Statalist e-mails I've already saved.

And I am getting better, stealthily, by checking before asking. I'm now
able to -net search-, -net install- and -update-, none of which I was able
to do, for technical reasons, before last Wednesday. That should also help
tremendously in cutting down on the number of questions that I need to ask
this list (hopefully!).

C.