Re: thoughts on manuals [Was st: -margin-, -mfx compute- and-manuals-]

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserve <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: thoughts on manuals [Was st: -margin-, -mfx compute- and-manuals-]
Date   Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:34:33 -0800 (PST)

Clive,

(In hopes this will not be read in an angry tone, for it is really a tone
of concern and helpfulness I mean to strike).

How do you think I got to a, as you say, "blue-chip" university?
Certainly not by asking vendors to lower prices on products I needed in
order to make investments in my human capital.  It's easy to ask others to
change what they are doing.  It is harder to accept that we all make
choices in life, and nothing is free.  If you don't get the manuals, you
should accept what that means--being unaware of syntax, capabilities,
options, and caveats.  And one other thing I think it means is you should
try to avoid turning statalist into a Clive-support group where users
check the manuals (you don't have) and answer your questions (that would
be answered if you obtained and read the manuals).  Send questions to
statalist.  But, try not to get angry if the answer is "check the
manuals".  Often, when that's the answer, no one actually sends a
response.

In the same connection, the archive is for everyone, especially new users.
It is to keep the list from repeatedly dealing with the same issues, to
keep new people from joining and asking the same questions over and over.
The archive is one reason statalist remains a high quality list--people
who have been using the software awhile stay on the list because the list
is not inundated with problems that have been addressed before, especially
low-level syntax questions that have been documented.  And, it is the
presence of these advanced users on the list that makes it work for all of
us who are not long-time users--I myself have only been using stata for
about 18 months.

Finally, you are a new user, but you seem resistant to learning the rules
of etiquette on statalist, such as what resources to check before you send
a note to the list, and so on.  Your resistance makes me wonder, are you
on a one-man crusade to drive everyone else off the list?  Are you some
kind of Microsoft plant?  ;-)

Seriously, though, I hope you figure a way to get the manuals.  There
really is no complete substitute.  But if you are unwilling or unable to
do so (and, much of the syntax is the same so stata7 manuals can partly
suffice), that's unfortunate--but it is your problem, not that of the rest
of the stata community.  This is the way it is with all queries to
statalist. If I send a question saying I used syntax B to estimate a model
but can't get it to run, and someone responds and indicates B won't work,
but A will, I have a choice.  I can use syntax A, and get the model to
run.  Or I can persist in using syntax B, and the model will never run.
If I persist in using syntax B, I shouldn't get upset that this approach
won't work, when people have graciously taken of their time and energy to
show me how to accomplish the aim I tell them I have (i.e., to estimate
this model).  Analoguously, answers to your dilemma have been
provided--get the manuals--and several ways of doing so have been
suggested.  If you disagree that that is necessary, or feel it is too
costly to follow that approach, that's fine.  But, persisting in using
syntax B, or persisting in failing to avail oneself of the principle
resource, comes to the same thing--your work moves much more slowly than
it otherwise would, if it moves at all.  And that's a cost that depends on
the value of your time, a question only you can answer.

Respectfully,

Sam