st: Use of Weights in Kernel Density Estimation

From   Ramani Gunatilaka <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Use of Weights in Kernel Density Estimation
Date   Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:11:05 +0000

Hi all,
I hope there maybe someone out there who may be able to help me with this query.
I have a household level data set of roughly 19,000 households with the following variables: per capita consumption in rupees (x), population weights (w) and household size (hhsize) as in the sample below (I'm sorry the column heads are not aligned).

x	w	hhsize
204.4059	176.45	3
402.0174	119.22	6
218.7155	51.84	8
1083.199	1266.73	6
303.6877	169.54	3

The weights represent the number of households in the entire population that each particular household represents.

I need to estimate the kernel density of the consumption distribution and have consulted Stata's kdensity function as well as the akdensity module developed by Van Kerm. Both permit the use of weights, but only of fweights and aweights. But while the weights in my data set are frequency weights, they are certainly not integers as required by Stata.

Would someone know how I may get round this problem? I'd rather use the kdensity or akdensity commands and not have to write up a programme from scratch.

Thanks so much,
Ramani