st: how to generate variable for non-standard data

From   "Oleksandr Shepotylo" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: how to generate variable for non-standard data
Date   Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:44:37 -0500

Hi,

I have data on soccer game results. I want to generate variable that will
reflect how a team played in the last 2 games: win_streak=sum of points in
the last 2 games.

Simple example, with 4 teams and 3 rounds:

Round   Home_team    Away_team   Points_home_team  Points_away_team
1                      A                    B                       3
0
1                      C                    D                       1
1
2                      B                    D                       0
3
2                      A                    C                       1
1
3                      D                    A                       3
0
3                      B                    C                       1
1

Then I want to create the variable:

Round  Team       Win_streak
    3          A                    4
    3          B                    0
    3          C                    2
    3          D                    4

The problem is that in the data a team could be in column 2 or column 3
depending on  playing home or away. Also, when I add points I should check
if I look at 4th or 5th column. Therefore, I can not just use: by sort team
(round): egen win_streak= points[_n-1]+points[_n-2].

Can you suggest how to deal with my ptoblem?

Thanks,

Oleksandr.