st: Re: Stata on Linux

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: Stata on Linux
Date   Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:51:01 -0500

On Nov 15, 2003, at 2:33 AM, Chris wrote:

We've got an older Apple in our office running Yellow Dog with SPSS for Mac. To my knowledge, since SPSS doesn't support a linux version we haven't done a comparison.

Given the basic structure of any *inx operating system I don't see why Stata for linux won't work with Yellow Dog.
But since Stata does not distribute source code for any platform, what are you going to do with an Intel-oriented Stata executable on a PowerPC? Stata for Linux is Intel-specific. It will run on any flavor of Linux, I imagine, as long as the hardware is Intel. But the bigendian-littleendian issue arises when you go from Intel to PowerPC or v.v. Without some sort of emulator, you cannot run an executable compiled on the one chipset on the other.

* For searches and help try: